August 3 - Lambs Canyon (to the Meadow again)

 Finally a cooler day (temps in the upper 80s), time to head out to hike Lambs Canyon to the top!!!

Arrive just after 3pm and only 1 car in the lot and those folks are sitting on the footbridge. I have the trail all to  myself!

But first, I'm greeted by a worn Weidemeyer's Admiral at the muddy area next to the parking area (One of 3 for the day). Nice start!

Flowers are pretty much gone but in small spots there are bloomers. And I find small flowery spot that is "full" of butterflies. "Full" is relative but there are several species flying here but one, a blue butterfly with marking catches my eye. I need to a get photo of him because I can't image what he can be. It's hard to keep track of him with a Blue Copper 

and a couple of Blue-ish Sylvan Hairstreaks on wing but success!

It's a Melissa Blue sp annetta (a Melissa Blue that resembles a Northern Blue)! I've only see these a few times all at higher elevations. So fun! (Confirmed ID). They say this guy is only above 8000ft and I'm ~6700ft. He either blew down or perhaps the Leps don't know what they about it. The habitat is perfect for this guy. I'm excited about it!

Also flying in this spot are Woodland Skippers, 

a Mustard White, a Common Checkered Skipper and lots of Frits (including GSF and others). Definitely the best butterfly day in Lambs Canyon this year for me!

The Frits and Woodland Skippers were flying along the trail up to the meadow where I spotted again today. It was cooler but still 80 and in the sun and my stomach was not feeling so well. Someday this year I'll get to the top.

But it all worked out as it usually does. On the way down, I spot a mating pair of Sylvan Hairstreaks!

And then at my car, I see a Western Tiger Swallowtail. Perfect close for an awesome day!

Oh, and I think I saw Black Bear poop (or someone waded in the creek and got muddy and scraped it on the trail. And since someone reported seeing a Black Bear by the creek a week ago, I'm voting on Black Bear. Need to keep my eyes and ears open for more than moose next time I come here.


Good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road