August 14 - Gravel Pit to Beacon Hill (Antelope Island)
Partly cloudy day with temps in the mid-70s (and chance of showers in the PM). Could have went to the mountains but the chance for a hike on Antelope Island in August is too good to be true. Heading to the Island to walk up to Beacon Hill!! I'm excited!
I arrive at the at exactly 7am. It's 63 degrees with a light wind and cloudy. It appears the sun make come out along the hike; hopefully after I get to the base of Beacon Hill though as most of the short climb will be complete.
I debate about cruising the Island for critters but head directly for the TH. I like hiking in cloudy weather; I'm going with it.
I the only car in the lot as I start off. It's very dry (as normal) and brown. Very few flowers at this time but the buds are there so they are coming soon.
I scare up a few large dragonflies on the way out of the Pit (and along the rest of the trail as well). When I get out, no bison to seen so it's an easy trek. Nice to be back again!
As I'm approaching the north end of Beacon and the intersection of the Gravel Pit and White Rock trails. A guy, on the White Rock trail, reaches the intersection first and is nearing the base Beacon Hill when I hear alarm calls. I look along Beacon Hill and stop about 7 Pronghorns!! Nice! The one big bull stands his ground as I pass.
Wasn't expecting to see any critters but Pronghorn were a wish of mine. They scatter up the slope onto the top of Beacon Hill. That's where I'm heading; maybe I'll see them again.
So when I start heading up the hill, I have my eyes scanning for them and yes, I find them!
They are to the north of me and walking SE but of course, stop when they see me. Then more alarms calls and all but the bull and one other trot off. I continue on my way to the trail's end.
And what a beautiful view!
Then I look down and find a small herd of bison!! Score!
And there are babies in the herd. This is the first-time I've seen Bison babies this year. Latest viewing in my 14 summers but with a warm Winter/Spring, the bitey gnats came out before the babies were born. But I'm happy now.
I look north and another win! There's another small herd north of me but on a plateau. They have babies too!
What a day!
After a short break, I start back and am soon at my car at 9am. As I'm getting ready go, I hear Chukkars to the northeast and to the northwest. I don't see any. But hearing them is fun.
But as I drive out of the parking lot, there's a whole flock of Chukkars running down the road (probably 20 them).
They eventually head for the grasses. What a perfect ending!!Great choice today!
Comments
Post a Comment