August 11 - Silver Lake to Switchback (BCC)

 It was a sunny day with highs in the mid-90s but when I left work it was cloudy up with a chance of storms. The mountains had a 30-50% and today, I will take a gamble and head up for a afterwork hike to Lake Solitude.

Storm clouds all the way up to Brighton but raincoat in backpack I'm off. Car says 80degrees when I set up and it feels good especially with no sun. I make my way around towards the trail. No moose hanging out within sight.

I cross the footbridge and just pass an elderly couple before reaching the pier and there's a big bull moose standing on the trail chomping on vegetation. 

Well, that was a quick hike. The old man was kidding with me to get closer and get a better but no I'm good. I watch for a short bit and backtrail around the other side of the lake to the trailhead.

As I come back to the TH, I find the moose now barely in the water still having dinner. 

People have gone past him and are watching from the pier.

Now I'm not feeling Lake Solitude. I haven't been up to the switchback in quite a while so I'm heading there hoping to see Pika and perhaps Marmots.

I arrive on the switchback

and I hear Pika but just get fleeting glimpse BUT there's a Marmot running around among the rocks. He finally disappears and I keep heading up the switchback to the other slide.

Oh there's another Marmot and he's heading for another. They meet up and I think he's trying to get lucky but she chasing him. 

He make another attempt but she chases him off farther. He disappears but she remains on her rock.

Still on the switchback but heading down, I finally get a good look at a Pika.

I try to find Mr Moose but cannot see him.

Time to head down.

When I'm almost to the bottom, I meet two guys and ask about them. They heard there were 2 of them and they came the longer way. So I'll return the longer way.

I keep my eyes out for the moose but never see them again. But it was an awesome surprise to see one. The clouds must have brought them out earlier than normal.

Great day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road