August 1 - Mormon Trail

 Sunny day with temps in the 100s again today. Heading out to the Mormon Trail to see what's left. Last time I was there, it was pretty depressing butterfly-wise but the Great Spangled Frits were flying. Let's see if they still are.

I arrive after 8am. Sunny and mid-60s. Wonderfully cool; glad I came.

Even drier than before; not much blooming alongside the trail except Yarrow, a Yellow Composite and a few Asters/Fleabane. Pretty bleak.

But I see a Woodland Skipper pretty earlier so my optimism is a little higher now.

It's still early and the trail is mostly in the shade. Birds are pretty quiet this morning.

There are bumblebees are so snap some pix.

As I near the meadow, I start seeing Great Spangled Frits; both males and females. They seem to be doing quite well for such a dry year. 

There is at least one other Frit species flying today as well.

Oh yea, I see a Weidenmeyers Admiral!

When I enter the meadow, I stop to watch a large hawk fly thru. I've seen hawks in this meadow before so I think this is home for one of them.

Many more Yellow Composites in the meadow but the butterflies (mostly GSFs) are attracted to the many thistles in the meadow (and along the rest of the trail). Actually, so are the bumblebees (including White Shouldered Bumblebee).

I actually find a European Skipper amongst the GSF/Thistles!

Nearing the pond, I see a Western Sulphur flying and he actually stops!! This is officially a lifer for me!!

The pond still has water but is pretty scummy looking. There's a Thistle collection at the other end of the meadow and again, many GSFs. 

I head past the dam and up the little hill but I said I was only going to the meadow so I turn and start heading back. But first, there's a Red-Tailed Hawk in the trees (I found him because there were lots of squirrels/chipmunks alerts going off.)

He flies to another tree still within view and let's out two very loud calls before flying off again. Perhaps he's the same hawk as earlier BUT he would have had to loop back around so I'm thinking this might be the other half of a pair.

Just past the pond, I stop for a Small Wood Nymph but he's flying.

Heading back thru the Thistles at the other end, I spot another Skipper (perhaps the same as earlier). Mighty cooperative today, I get plenty of photos. It's a Taxiles Skipper (which I has seen on this trail in years past but still excited to see anything but a Frit!)

Before exiting the meadow, I see another Small Wood Nymph and this time he lands -yea!

Off again searching for anything but a Frit and I succeed with another Small Wood Nymph!

By far, the GSFs rule today. Very happy to see them in good numbers. The Woodland Skipper, W. Admiral, Western Sulphur and Taxiles Skipper were just ones. Got 3 Wood Nymphs though.

Good day!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road