June 29 - Lambs Canyon to the Upper Meadow

 Heading up after work to hike Lambs Canyon; actually going to the end today!

Stunning day; it's upper 60s and sunny with a light breeze so unlike a normal end of June day but I'll take it. (And there was snowfall in the mountains yesterday and today - crazy weather!)

Arrive before 3:30. Bad timing on my part because another group arrive just before me so the trail will not be mine today. (Not to mentioned people don't know park as they pulled into the pull-in instead of parking perpendicular so that there are more spots available - grrrr. I had to park elsewhere because 3 cars filled the lot.)

I started before them so that was good. And I'm surprised that despite the lack of snowfall and Springs rains the vegetation is super lush. Can't even see the trail especially on the 1st switchback. Water is still flowing in the creek but no much. There's more flowers blooming but far fewer then in years past.

Again the butterfly numbers are way down. Today I see a several Frits, a Western Swallowtail 

and 2 Weidemeyers Admirals. Pretty sad.

But the birds were chirping today. And I get a BIG surprise; there's a Rubber Boa on the trail!!! Second one I've seen and both have been on the Lambs Canyon trail. This one is skittish and when I stop, it halts it's crossing and curls around and head in the direction he came. Short visit but so enjoyable. Made the hike so worth it!!

I arrive at the meadow and hear voices. The group caught with me. For some reason, my bubble burst and I didn't want to go to the end. I'm fine with that; just building up stamina :)





Time to head down.

Good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road