July 7 - Willow Lake (BCC)

 Sunny day with highs in the mid-90s BUT it's 70 degrees up and Brighton; time to hike Willow Lake and check out the flower situation.

Arrive just after 3pm. It's sunny and in the low 80s/upper 70s. There are storm clouds in the sky but the weather says no rain; I'll find out. There are only 2 cars parked so it won't be crowded.

I start up the trail. Yea, there are flowers but, the theme of the summer, nothing like year past. There are Jacobs Ladder, Geraniums, Bluebells and other but, in my opinion, it's hit or miss BUT lots of green vegetation.

Looking for butterflies but find moths; and pretty ones that won't sit still for a photo.

On the second switchback, I pass Solitude and the next corner has a nice stormy view down canyon. 

Soon after, I find butterflies; several Wood Nymphs species unknown.

At the start of the 3rd switchback, a Dusky Grouse crosses the trail and poses for me. I was pretty shocked as I was only 3 feet away. Definitely a highlight!

On the last stretch before the meadow, what I think is a Mourning Cloak flies by!

In the meadow, as expected, it's flower poor. 

Lots of Buckwheat but butterflies and a few ground squirrels. As I near the end of the meadow, a beautiful Mountain Blue bird flies into the tree. 

Wish I had a better look. I pause for a shot of the meadow before continuing into the woods and around the lake. 

Here I meet a few groups of people. With the lake low, I just continue around. I do see a few Blue Copper butterflies but nothing stopping until I return the woods.

I also find 2 very fresh CA Tortoiseshells and a Parnassian.

Soon I'm back at the meadow 

and heading downhill. At the creek I find a Hairy (or Downy) woodpecker.

The flowers are patchy good on the way down. I do find a few more Blues and towards the very end a Ruddy Copper.

Good day!

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road