July 3 - Mormon Trail

 Sunny day with highs in the low 90s. After much internal debate, I'm heading to hike the Mormon Trail today for a butterfly check. (I figured it would be quiet today as there would be no campers for this Holiday week-end yet.)

I arrive just after 7:30 and I am the only one in the lot. It's in the mid-50s and the sun is still working it's way thru the clouds.

The birds are singing - not as active as the last time I was here but still very nice to hear.

The trail is shady so I'm not expecting to see any flyers on my way out; only going in 2miles today.

Flowers are noticeably absent this year but the Yarrow and Clover are doing great as are the Dogbane; best I've seen them in years. Too bad there's not many butterflies out to enjoy them.

Seeing many chipmunks and squirrels this morning.

When I reach the 2 miles, I have NOT seen a butterfly. :(

BUT I turn around a quickly spot a Northern Checkerspot trying to warm himself up.

And then a Frit - kinda looks like a Great Spangled but I really didn't get a good look.

After passing the camp and before the footbridge, I spot a Dragonfly.

As I'm watching I hear movement ahead and I look up expecting moose but I see a buck! And he quickly disappears. Wow! I don't see deer here much and to a buck, that's pretty special!! He was near a creek that still has water; I'm assuming he was there for a drink.

And an actual GSF! Actually 2 of them.


But to be honest it still very dead out here. I do end with a single Boisduval Blue. And moving from him, again I hear rustling and look up to see a deer disappear into the brush. Two in one day! Wow! (He too was near water.)

Good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road