July 23 - Willow Lake (BCC)

 Sunny with highs in the mid-90s and finally a day with no monsoon flows causing showers/storms in the mountains. Very, very happy we had them but kinda blew the afterwork hikes a little over a week.

But today heading for Willow Lake. Last time I was here, I would say it was peak flowers or perhaps just past peak. Curious what it will look like today.

Smooth sailing up the canyon today. There are some storm-looking clouds moving thru but rain is not in the forecast and it's mostly sunny and 82 degrees when I arrive. Only a couple of cars but they are not near the TH so they've been here awhile so I gear up and start up the trail.

Well, the peak is well past. Not many flowers left at the bottom except a few Geraniums and other stragglers. Boy that was quick! It's ebbs and flows the higher I climb but now is the waiting for the Fall flowers. The Fireweed is already blooming so the countdown begins.

I'm seeing those Wood Nymphs again and in the same area as last time but not being cooperative today either.

Soon I'm in the meadow. Most of the Buckwheat is dried up and not many Ground Squirrels running around.

A quick look at Solitude and then I'm heading for the lake. Boy, is she low! Still enough for the ducks to swim/feed but it may be all dried up before Winter comes.

I trek across the far side of the lake seeing a couple Blue Coppers.

Then back into the woods where I see a Great Spangled Frit!

Still alot of Red Paintbrush in bloom in this area; very bright and pretty.

And Policecar Moths!


Back in the meadow, I spot a different Frit and a White crossing the meadow.

Time to head down. Flowers still better on this side of the trail. I spot more Blue Coppers and Wood Nymphs. And oh, another Copper too (a faded Ruddy Copper)!

Good day!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road