July 17 - Cecret Lake and Sugarloaf Pass (LCC)
Vacation day today and I'm heading up Little Cottonwood Canyon to hike to Cecret Lake and then Sugarloaf Pass. Storms aren't in the forecast until the afternoon so I'm hoping for sunny skies so I can hopefully see some butterflies as well as peak wildflower season.
And yes, peak wildflowers brings large crowds so heading out early. I arrive at the gate at 6:41 (not as early as I hoped) but there's no line at gate and plenty of parking for Cecret Lake. (Catherine's Pass was definitely more crowded though).
It's upper 50s and sun still rising over the peaks when I start. The flowers are pretty amazing (red, blues, yellows, pinks) everywhere. Not bad for a low snowfall/drought year.
Trail activity is pretty low but there are folks returning from the lake already which is pretty amazing.
I'm searching for moose/deer but only finding Marmots, ground squirrels, and chipmunks.
There is water on the trail (mud too) so there was rain here yesterday which is awesome!
Devils Castle is looking amazing too!
Soon I arrive at Cecret Lake; alway lovely. There are maybe 15 people at the lake so it's still pretty quiet but there are plenty of folks behind me.
I walk around trying to find some Tiger Salamander (laval form). I find them on the opposite of the Lake. I stop to watch for a bit before continuing up the service road to the Pass.
Quiet climb but it's cooler now; must be because I'm away from the rocks. Flowers are spotty but fun to look at. Find some Elephant's Head (one of my favorites) as well as many others.
I'm surprised by a Mormon Frit and then a CA Tortoiseshell. That's a good start.
Of course there are Marmots.
But no moose/deer; however I do find a bunny just before reaching Germania Pass (and it's lift). Quite the surprise because it's a critter I don't usually see.
I take a detour to the lift to look down toward the Salt Valley.
Then it's the final long stretch to my destination. There doesn't seem to be as many flowers on these slopes. Perhaps they are coming still or just a side effect of the drought. I see another Mormon Frit and a Parnassian but that's all.
I also see my only Pika of the trip.
I reach the Pass and cross onto the Snowbird boundary where the view of Mt Timp and Snowbird are incredible!!
I stop for a break at the lift.
Clouds are rolling in now. I don't mind it'll be a cooler trip back.
Nothing exciting on the way back to Cecret Lake. It is definitely more crowded now (lots of groups). But I just pass for the downhill trek. First time I've experienced a backup on the switchback but thankfully only the 1st one.
At one point, I see a few people with cameras out looking to the right. Hey, it's a Bull Moose chewing away. Great way to end the trip.
I take one addition detour to a viewpoint down canyon.I do see a few Blue Copper butterflies among the flowers.
Awesome day!
Comments
Post a Comment