June 14 - Mormon Trail

 Sunny day with temps in the mid-80s. Was planning to hike up to Cecret Lake but after seeing the week old Alta report with snow still on the trails (in spots), I decided to head to the Mormon Trail. It's been a couple of weeks; time to see what effect the drought is having on the flyers.

I get there around 8:00. It's in the upper 40s and most of the trail will still be in shade so I'm not expecting to see bflies on my trek out; the goal is 3 miles.

Lots of birds singing this morning and bee buzzing as well. It's my Sunday church music. :) I see some yellows flashes but I catch up to only one singer, the Green Tailed Towhee.

Still not much in bloom but than it is only mid-June. Mostly Yarrow in bloom with some Clover, Bluebells and Geraniums. Pretty week bloom.

As expected, no flyers to the pond BUT at the pond I do see a Common Checkered Skipper perched on a Yarrow trying to warm up.

Lots of algae on the pond, no dragonflies.

Just past the pond, I spot a Northern Crescent. 

And farther along a couple for Frits.

Pretty dead morning and because of that, I stop just shy of 3 miles. The good news though, I do see the White Columbine in bloom!

The return trip is pretty much the same, a couple Frit and a Northern Crescent (probably the same ones I past earlier).

Still no dragonflies at the pond.

It gets slightly lively earlier the rest of the way with a few Northern Checkerspots, a Weidemeyers Admiral and Western Tiger Swallowtail and a Boisduvals Blue.

Pretty sad butterfly day; I probably 10-12 total. BUT the bird songs were amazing!







Good day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road