July 19 - Millie Lift to Twins Lake and my perch (BCC)

 Another sunny day with temps in the upper 90s. The only difference today is the monsoon is coming a mid-afternoon instead of late morning like yesterday. Love the rain the mountains have been getting the last few days but would love it to move into the valleys.

Anyhow, the plan is to hike the Millie Lift over to Lake Mary and then up to Snakeskin Pass. Haven't down either part of this in a couple of years.

I leave a little later than I planned an arrive after 7am. The place is hopping already. Even where I park for the Millie Lift has several cars already. (Have to admit, it was a bit of a let down.) But is sunny and in the upper 50s so let's enjoy the beautiful day.

Trail is damp and I'm surprised I do not see any Marmots at the bottom of the trail. Actually, I did see any the entire day. Where did they all go?

The flowers are blooming; mostly buckwheat, but there are patches of the yellow composites. After seeing Alta on Friday, I'm a little disappointed but not really, I've been hiking this all Spring, I wasn't expecting much.

I have the trail all to myself. No moose or deer.

When I get close the finishing the hill, I start hearing lots of voices and I see a couple and another couple on the trail I was going to take. And there was another loud group taking photos before they take the same trail. Honestly, didn't know it was that popular. :( So it's time for a detour. I think I'll down the lake for a bit and then up to my perch for the 1st time this season.

The backside of the dam has more water due to the rains and it sure looks like Twin Lakes has more water as well.

I head down the lake until I meet a doe crunching away at the vegetation. I'm 20 feet away before she slowly moves off. 

Flowers are really pretty as I walk; no butterflies though.

I probably get 1/4 way down the lake before turning around and head up a trail to the rocky overlook. Passing thru tons of flowers; even see a Blue Copper!!

I make a stop at the overlook before continuing up the trail (and through more flowers) to my perch. I stop for a break.

Lovely yellow sedums blooming here.

As well as a few chipmunks and three Bluebirds (a family).

Now the big question, do I complete the loop down to Lake Solitude and Silver Lake OR do I head back the way I came. I prefer to miss the crowds so its back the way I came.

I see another Blue Copper on the return. 

And amazed at the number of people coming up this trail now. Guess it's really not the secret trail I think it is (Or perhaps people are looking for another way to Twin Lakes still Solitude ruined the original trail with their "snow-making construction" from last year.

Awesome day!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

May 8 - Mormon Trail (to dam)

May 16 -Heading up to Twin Lakes (well, just a little bit of up)

May 10 - Lambs Canyon Road